Wednesday 2 March 2016

It's not always a fairytale

Having a baby is meant to be one of the most amazing and magical experiences you will ever have in your life, and yes it can be, however nothing can prepare you for the darker more emotional side of the experience. The side that is difficult to talk about, because if you truly voice what goes on in your head people might look at you very differently. As a nation we can have the "get up and get on with it" attitude to life and it is so much easier to brush things under the carpet, then having to deal with them. We can very easily become embarrassed to admit that not everything is okay, or that we may be struggling. Recently I was listening to a few of the snapchat/bloggers that I follow, and "post natal" depression was the topic of conversation. So many girls have suffered from this and I think it is extremely important to talk about it. When you go through something like this you feel very alone, it is hard to understand what is going on and you can quickly spiral into a very dangerous and dark place. I've touched on this previously in some of my earlier posts however I've never really sat down and put it all into words. It is difficult for me to re-live some of these memories but it is also important to show that no matter how dark it becomes, we are stronger than we think, and we can always push through. So here it goes...

I was 24 years when I had my first boy, it wasn't planned and I felt that I was really only starting to enjoy my life. I was only with my partner a few weeks and we really didn't know very much about each other at all. When I fell pregnant it felt like my world had ended, it was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. I was not ready to become a mother and it took me such a long time to come to terms with it all. Having babies was never part of my plan and least of all with somebody that I barely knew, not exactly a fairytale. I didn't even tell my parents until I was almost 6 months gone. I couldn't handle all of the changes that were happening in my life and all of a sudden and I fell extremely depressed. It was only for a short spell and I snapped out of it (or so I thought) when a friend of mine at the time lost a close family member. It was only then that I realised I was gaining a life, not losing one. I gave birth to a healthy beautiful baby boy and I was happier than I had even been in my whole life, my world had changed, but for the better. I was on a high, but what goes up, must come down so to speak. Everybody talks about the baby blues but I never really understood what they truly were or how hard they would hit me. The day we came home from the hospital (normally a joyous occasion) I cried the whole way home, why? Well all because the part that the baby car seat clipped into was put into the car wrong. Looking back now I think I was scared, genuinely scared that I now had to take care of this little person for the rest  of my life, and I was doubting that I was even capable of this. I got the typical outbursts of tears for the next few days over the most random of things and that was it, I was done, baby blues over!! How wrong I was, they had only just begun. 

I had moved to Arklow only about a year before I became pregnant and it was a huge adjustment as I was living in Cork city before I moved up. Moving from a city to a town is hard, especially when you have so much life around you everyday. I found it very hard  to make friends, in a town people have circles of friends from their childhood, so I really didn't have many people I could rely on. I was at home every single day with a little baby by myself, my partner was working and my days were very long and very lonely. The most exciting part of my day consisted of going to Tesco to get something for that nights dinner. There was days that I would sit on the stairs waiting for my partner to come through the door, and the minute he did I would hand the baby to him and walk away, I found it really hard to bond. I knew I loved my baby (more than I had loved anyone) but I also felt like something was missing. I knew it was wrong to feel like this but I couldn't help it and I felt so guilty for feeling like this that I became even more depressed, it was like a vicious circle. Nobody tells you how much the sleep deprivation tortures you, the tiredness is undescribleable, add a screaming baby to the mix and all the hormones in your body. It really messes with your head, no matter how strong of a person you think you are. I remember my child crying and I would sit on the stairs outside of his room (after trying to settle him) and I would just cry, cry my eyes out because I didn't understand what I was doing wrong. There is no training for becoming a mum and it is by far the hardest job you will ever have. I felt like the worst mother in the world, how did so many other women make it look so easy, what was wrong with me.

I started going out again and adding alcohol to everything that was going on in my head was a recipe for disaster. I would cause arguments with my partner because I couldn't understand why he wanted to be with me. I didn't understand how he could love this person, this woman who couldn't even take care of his child because that is truly what I believed. I feel anxious as I write this because its hard when I think back to how I was and how bad I had got. One night I sat on the cold kitchen floor in the middle of the night crying, I honestly didn't believe it would ever get better, I didn't know how to fix it. Your mind is a powerful thing and I felt like I was losing mine, why wasn't I happy? I should be!! I had everything that most people would dream of, things that I felt I didn't deserve. 

It took me a long time to see that I needed help and eventually I got it. So many woman have struggled with this and while it's hard to discuss it is also important to create awareness. Not everything in life is a fairytale and even the special and joyful moments can affect you in ways you never imagined. Writing this was like putting the jigsaw puzzle together and I know see how a build up of events led to my experience. It didn't happen overnight and it was hard to come out of but we are always more resilient than we think once we are honest with ourselves. Thank you for taking the time to read this

Luv Lisa xx

22 comments:

  1. Really well written and brave of you to post!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur a very brave lady Lisa posting this tonight u totally take my hat of to u and love watching ur snaps your 2 boys are an absolute credit to u and u should be so proud of yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare. Took me a while to pluck up the courage but so glad that I did

      Delete
  3. Ur a very brave lady Lisa posting this tonight u totally take my hat of to u and love watching ur snaps your 2 boys are an absolute credit to u and u should be so proud of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa well done. We can get caught in the hype of material things as a blogger but sometimes it's such a great influence to talk about the real stuff. Keep it up buddy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Kim. Yes it's fun to do the other bits and bobs but it's humbling to tell a story too x

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your support Kim. Yes it's fun to do the other bits and bobs but it's humbling to tell a story too x

      Delete
  5. Lisa well done. We can get caught in the hype of material things as a blogger but sometimes it's such a great influence to talk about the real stuff. Keep it up buddy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally came across your blog tonight because somebody I know liked this post. Well done to you.. I can totally relate to you and this post and it brings back memories for me. I admire you... best of luck to you X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. It's crazy how many people have went through this

      Delete
  7. Fair play to u Lisa,women do need to be more aware of it and the stigma of it all needs to stop. Amazing read x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keira. Totally agree it's something that we assume only happens to a few women

      Delete
  8. Hey Lisa,
    Thanks for being so open and brave for posting this. It is a really hard thing to put your hands up and say you know what this is really hard sometimes and I'm not coping very well. I've had so many ups and downs being a parent to 2 young boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even on my second I still struggled. Funny thing was it wasn't easier at all. Nice to know we are not alone x thanks for the messahe

      Delete