Tuesday 18 August 2015

A dog is for life

Last Summer we decided to get a dog. It took many many weeks to convince me because frankly I didn't think it was a very good idea at the time. After alot of pleading from John and the kids they finally broke me down and I eventually gave in. So off down to Kerry we went to collect the newest member of our family, a Siberian husky. He was the cutest little puppy I had ever seen and even though I was still hesitant about the idea I couldn't help but fall in love with him. We decided to call him Loki (the god of mischief) from the film Thor. Bit of a trend in our house as Logan our second is called after Logan (wolverine) from the marvel movies X-men. I suppose for us this was the alternative to having another child, an extra family member that was a little less work....or so I thought.


So off home we went with gorgeous little puppy and to tell you the truth I was sad. Sad for him that he would never see his family again, we were his family now and we would have treat him like one of us. The reason I was so hesitant originally about getting a dog is because we both work full time and I really didn't think we would have the time to give to a dog. It wouldn't have been fair to him or her sitting in a garden all day alone. Also I felt that the kids were too young and it would be too much responsibility for them. You hear all these stories about animals and neglect and people having to give them up because it was way too much work. I really didn't want this to be the case. 


It took many weeks to adjust to the new arrival, and to be honest there were weeks I got very frustrated because it felt our life was now revolving around this little puppy. Things were costing more than we thought, dog beds, leads, food, vet bills etc we even built gates at the side of our house so he couldn't escape (huskies are known to be escape artists). On days off from work I had this extra person to fit into my routine and on lazy days sometimes the thoughts of having to go for a walk annoyed me. John of course instantly became Loki's master and the dog would only do what he was told for him. Once I went to collect the kids from school and when I came back the dog was gone. He had dug underneath the gates and we got a phone call that he was running around the Avoca mills. He has got off his lead/harness so many times and I think he thinks it's a game all of us running after him :) 


It's crazy how a a dog has it's own personality. Some times when we talk to him it's like he can answer with just a certain look. He is so protective of the family and adores the kids. I will never ever feel unsafe in the house as long as he is there and I know he would give his life for any one of us. The kids have learnt how to be responsible and to care and love somebody. Listening to them laughing and watching them play with him is priceless. I cannot imagine our life without him now. He sits on the couch with us, sleeps in the room with us and no matter what humour we are in he is always happy to see us. 

For anyone thinking of getting a dog, I won't say its easy, nothing in life is but it certainly is very rewarding. Like the love of a child it's an unconditional love xx










No comments:

Post a Comment