Friday 7 August 2015

Till Death do us part

So as I approach the 4th year of our engagement this month it got me thinking, why the hell are we engaged so long and not married yet. I have several friends that have got engaged recently and when I chat to them about it, they have venues booked, dress fittings etc, all sorted within a few weeks of getting engaged. Is it bad that I get a little shocked by this and think "jesus that's sudden, you only JUST got engaged" or is it that there is actually something wrong with me not wanting to rush into it. After all the whole purpose of getting engaged is to get married. To be honest I kinda like the idea that I am "engaged"as apposed to being "married" it makes me feel young and in some stupid way I think that being married will mean I actually have to grow up.


So what is taking us soooo long to get round to it. Well there are a number of factors to be honest. We are currently trying to buy a home, which for us is more important than spending thousands on a wedding at the moment and we have 2 kids which I know shouldn't be an excuse but it kind of gets in the way of life a little :) I do try to be practical about it all but every now and again I get frustrated that we haven't set a date or planned anything. It's at times like this when it comes up to our anniversary that I get a little shifty about it and consider booking something but it just always seems to be a bad time financially.


When I was younger (not that I'm old) I was like alot of girls, dreams of the big wedding, the dress and prince charming waiting for me at the alter but the older I get the more I realise that this is not what I want anymore and neither does my fiancĂ©. We will definitely NOT have a big traditional Irish wedding for several reasons. The whole structure of an Irish wedding has started to frustrate me, firstly I am not very religious so I would be an absolute hypocrite if I got married in a church. Then come the invites, your parents got invited to Mary's Aunties Neighbours granddaughters wedding (you catch where I'm going with this) so of course they all have to be invited. Why.... I've never even met them before, but it's just the Irish way. Another thing that annoys me is how it's all about the bride..yes that's great, but she is getting married to someone, and he was kinda the one who 
made all of this happen by asking her. So I think the groom should get more recognition and have some say in THEIR big day. Family I assume can be the biggest headache for most couples, we all 
have a mad uncle or auntie or one side of the family that doesn't talk to the other etc. It's just the kinda drama I definitely want to avoid.



Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across negative about it all. I really DO love weddings. My favourite part of a wedding is the way the bride and groom look at each other. The happiness and love on their faces. The look on a fathers face, proud as punch when he walks his daughter up and aisle. I am a hopeless romantic and it's more about the emotion and love for me than the type of seat covers that we're used :)Now each to their own everyone has their dream of the BiG day but I do know we will have a simple affair that is very personal to us when we eventually take the plunge to say "I do" Till death do us part.......




No comments:

Post a Comment