Wednesday 4 May 2016

Fashion and Styling tips Part 1.

I have always wanted to do a stylist course, and especially now more than ever. I am always conscious of saying that I am a "fashion blogger" however I have no documentation to back that up,  only that I have worked in retail for 9 years and I have a complete passion for it. I don't, and never would claim to be a fashionista of any kind, on most days I look like a complete wreck. But working in retail and for numerous high street stores over the last few years has taught me a thing or two. So I would love share some of these tips and tricks with you all, and it would be great if you could share yours back so we can all learn together.



1. If in doubt always keep it simple, for example a little black dress. Style it with bright accessories such as shoes, bags and jewellery to make an outfit pop. Recently I saw Just Jordan at an event, all dressed in black, with bright yellow heels and earrings and she looked absolutely divine

2. Did you know that the secret formula for formfitting t-shirts is 95% cotton and 5% Lycra, and for jeans to hold their shape they need at least 2% Lycra. Sometimes it can be worth going down a size in denim because they always loosen and nobody, I mean nobody wants a baggy bum.

3. Always check the label, if your anything like me do not buy hand wash or dry clean only. Because frankly I will never take care of it and I always end up ruining it. Its not so great if you lead anyway of a hectic lifestyle, and I once washed and dried a jumper that now wouldn't even fit my 7 year old

4. If you are shopping for a special occasion, don't just assume that the dress will look better when you get home and pop on the spandex and make up. Go prepared, bring your spandex with you so you get a true idea of how the dress fits.

5. Spend you money on good basics, a black and a blue pair of denims, a white shirt or t-shirt, nude shoes, a black smart jacket and so on. You will get so much wear out of them, they are also so versatile and suit everybody and body shape if worn the right way.

6. Don't over accessorise, you don't always have to wear a watch, bracelets, rings, necklace and earrings all at once. Sometimes less is more and in the words of CoCo Chanel


7. Have an emergency kit for those mis-haps, I have often been at a wedding or event where my zip burst or seam split and once where my dress was too low and I was so conscious all night. So its demo worth having a little emergency kit with some double sided tape, safety pins, baby wipes for stains etc.

8. A scarf can totally transform a boring outfit and is great if your not a big print fan but want to add interest. I have often been having a bad outfit day and popped on a scarf and its instantly felt like a totally different outfit.

9. I heard this recently and its a great one "dress for your body, not for your age".  Just because you are 35/40 doesn't mean you have to dress like a mammy. After I had my first I went through a stage were I didn't know how to dress myself. If you've got it flaunt it, beauty knows no age.

10. Go with your gut, if you like it wear it, if it makes you feel like a million dollars than your confidence will shine through. Fashion is subjective, we all have different styles that suit our personality. Do not be drawn in by TRENDS.....

So I hope you found some of this helpful, maybe you have heard these already, or maybe you don't agree with some. In part 2 I was going to focus on body shapes, do you think that is something you would like to read about. Please feel free to comment and share your tips and tricks. As always thanks for taking the time out to read

Luv Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment