Sunday 7 August 2016

A world of trolling, body shaming and adult bullying

There isn't one girl/woman I know that doesn't have at least one small insecurity about herself. We all dislike something about ourselves and we will always be the first to point out our "flaws". Because of this I truly cannot understand why someone would ever post a nasty and personal comment about another person online. When in our normal everyday lives would we approach a stranger on the street to intentionally say something hurtful or cruel. Yet for some reason people think its okay to do it on social media.


Social media is now such a massive part of our lives, and I'm sure many of us would struggle to live without it. However it has fast become a platform for creating jealousy, self loathing, hatred with what we like to call our "opinions". This whole "but you've put yourself out there" crap doesn't cut it with me, it is no excuse and does not give anyone the right to belittle, hurt or abuse anyone. Yes we all have an opinion on things, but what happens when we justify these "opinions" because we don't personally know the person, or we think that "they deserve it". As adults you would think that we have left our childish school days ways behind us, but sadly no, not for some. I strongly believe that it doesn't matter what age you are to become a bully, if anything as an adult you have the ability to zone in on others insecurities and use them to be even more hurtful and cruel. I read an article recently that said, on snapchat  you will have a 40% "hate following". Imagine that!!!! 40% of those people that you think support you, actually dislike you. Isn't it sad that we now live in a world were it is acceptable to openly hate someone. Recently a local Irish blogger  Lisa from (Lisa's Lust List) won Best dressed Lady, at the Ladies day competition in the Galway races, a title that has been won by several women throughout the years. What I find very strange is the abuse that Lisa has received after winning the title this year, it it because she is a "blogger"? because she has a very successful Facebook page?. I presume that the ladies that won that same title in previous years did not receive the same treatment. So why on this occasion did this happen? Other women actually took to their keyboards to write messages and comments targeted at this girls personal appearance. This is both disturbing and disgusting behaviour. I honestly hope these people don't have children that could possibly grow up around this kind of hatred.



Don't get me wrong yes I have days when I have a bitch with a friend or a rant about something or someone, I aint no saint and we all do it, but I would never intentionally hurt someone. Nor would I ever leave hurtful, nasty comments aimed at anyone. I think that people are just generally angry, angry with their life choices or situations and they think it gives them a right to belittle or troll another human being. Its something that I will never be able to wrap my head around and I often wonder if acting this way makes someone feel better about themselves. What do they gain from putting another person down. I am very lucky that I have never received anything of the sort online yet, but thats not to say it will never come. But I tell you one thing when and if I ever do, I like Lisa will be standing up for myself and letting everyone know that it is NOT okay. Haters will not be tolerated 


Congrats to Lisa on her fantastic win check her out even though you probably all follow her already on Facebook at Lisa Lust List

Luv Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment